Thursday 15 January 2015

Work Diary - Location Contrast 2

Evaluation

At first, I thought shooting Location Contrast for the second time would be extremely difficult, and i wasn't sure what photos i could take which represent the topic well. Beforehand, I discussed the idea of thinking about all 10 formal elements, and how they can signify contrast. For instance, a photo of horizontal and vertical lines shows the contrast between the two ways in which the lines are heading, or two different colours contrasting against each other. I liked this idea and therefore, whilst taking photographs i decided to focus on it. I photographed arrows pointing in separate ways, grass against soil, different patterns against each other etc. I really enjoyed this perspective on contrast and believe that it has resulted in some well thought out, good photographs. 



This is one of the first images i took. Clearly, the contrast is between the horizontal and vertical lines. However, there is also a contrast between the white and brown colours. As well as the texture and material of the two subjects, as the top half is of plastic blinds against a window, and the bottom half is wooden panels. I like this photograph a lot because the window pane separates the two mediums, making the image look as though it's split in half. 


This is one of my favourite images I took during this shoot. Evidently, the contrast is between the puddle and the ground, as well as wet and dry. I like this image a lot because there isn't a direct, straight split between the two as the puddle is naturally occurring, and therefore has a wobbly edge. I think this makes the photo so much more interesting and definitely shows the realism of it. I also like that even though the divide between the puddle and the ground isn't straight, it is still in the centre of the image. 


Progression

If i were to continue with this topic or add more photographs, i would actually use the same subject of the contrast of formal elements, but try to use a lot more of them, such as shape, reflection and movement. I think these formal elements would also create amazing photographs, and would be extremely interesting to shoot. I would also like to shoot on another day, as today wasn't particularly sunny and bright, which made some of my photos quite dull. These are some of the contrast photographs that i have found on the internet which i aspire to achieve if i ever add to this topic:









No comments:

Post a Comment