Monday 20 October 2014

Photographer Research - Karl Hugo Schmolz

Karl Hugo Shmolz 

I particularly like the fact that Karl Hugo Shmolz uses architecture to represent line, shape and configurations within his work. Shmolz uses different angles and perspectives to portray a variety of different ways in which we can look at a building, he basically uses his camera as a separate pair of eyes, that can show viewers different aspects of a building, inside and out, that we wouldn't normally see. I chose to research Shmolz because his images are so creative and busy, which makes them extremely interesting and enjoyable to look at and study, and I want my photographs to appeal to others the same way. I also chose Schmolz because his photography work clearly portrays the formal elements of line and shape.


At a first glance at this image, I can already see semi-circles, rectangles, the shape of a table and two chairs, as well as the lines of the pillars, the lines in the tiles of the floor etc., so without even studying the image for long, we can already see so many aspects which represent these two formal elements. I like that the image is in black and white as well, because it emphasises the definition of the lines and shapes within the photo.


This photograph has been taken from inside a building, from below, and shows the outline of a sky-gazer/window through the ceiling. We can also see the building from the outside, as we can see through it. This image represents line as we can see window frames, barriers, wood planks etc., and it also shows shape as we can see the entire outlined shape of the ceiling, as well as the outlines of the windows. I like this image because it is so busy and each time you look at it, you see something that you hadn't seen before.


This photo is a little less obvious at representing the formal elements, but it still does. This has been taken from the highest point of a staircase, and therefore we can see each level of the stairs, right down to the bottom. I like that shadows have been created by the banister and stairs themselves. I also like how even though the staircase is somewhat rectangular, it still forms a spiral-like shape as we look down to the bottom, which gives us a beginning and end to the photo.


This is the final image that I chose, again it is of a staircase, however, this one is a bit more circular and has been taken from the bottom instead, which means we can look up at each level. I like that the photo has been taken at an angle in which we can only see the banister of the stair case. I also like that this photo has more of a spiral-like shape. 

Karl Hugo Schmolz's work has influenced me because I want to create busy and complex images, which are also interesting to look at. I like how Schmolz has used an everyday object, buildings, within his images because it makes the ordinary seem extraordinary, just by showing the building from a different angle and perspective. I also like how Schmolz's work gives us an insight of architecture, and the way that buildings are built and structured. Schmolz's work influenced me to look at buildings and architecture from a different perspective, and during the 'Shape' shoot that i did, i focused on this idea. Schmolz's work influenced my 'Shape' photographs because i used the shapes within buildings. 


This was one of the shots I took during 'Shape'. During the time of the shoot, I was trying to find shapes within objects around me. However, once i began to venture out of that idea and tried to look even further, I took this image. This is shapes on a ceiling, and i zoomed in to the centre to emphasise the focus on the shapes. 


This is another Shape photograph that i took. Again, i have used a building and it's architecture to portray the topic. This is because Schmolz's influenced me to look at buildings as though they were just structures mad dup of different shapes and lines etc., instead of just looking at it as though it were just a building. 

In summary, I like the look and style of Karl Hugo Schmolz's images. I mostly enjoy looking at the complexity of the shapes he captures within buildings and architecture. This makes his photos more interesting, and far more extraordinary. Hugo Schmolz's work allows viewers to explore the depths within the architecture of buildings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment